Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Be conscious

It is 6:00pm on the dot right now and I felt I needed to jump on and blog about being conscious.  There are of course a million different things you can be conscious about but right now I want to talk about your eating.  I will repeat it a million and one times, I DO NOT restrict myself from anything!  I don't believe in eliminating something from your diet because you think that is going to help you loose weight.  Some people don't eat things because they think they are bad for you.  Because they don't like them.  Because they "think" that it makes you fat.
I'm sorry but I disagree (and you may disagree with me and that is okay!).  I think that everything is permissible (to your own convictions) in moderation.  Our society has come to a place where an acceptable serving size of steak is 16 oz.  That is a WHOLE pound!  Do you know how many calories that is?  Approximately 675 calories, just for a steak that is served as a meal (this is an option at my favorite steak restaurant).  Then you add on the salad before the meal, the fried zucchini, the baked potato with butter and sour cream, bread oh and of course we have to have the veggies because after all it won't be a balanced dinner without the veggies...RIGHT!?!?!  I will be honest and tell you, that would be my dinner when I would go out!  Actually I would order the 12oz steak and I would eat it all!  I probably still could, I'm not going to lie.  Here is a picture of my absolute favorite steak meal!  I think I want it right now!

Do you know what an actual serving size of steak is?  It is only 4oz.  A 4oz Flank Steak is appx 169 calories.  MUCH better!

I have learned to eat appropriately.  There are times I indulge but I have learned that I have to be conscious.  The thing that triggered this post is I am making dinner right now.  I am really hungry!  I ate lunch at 12pm and didn't eat much for breakfast before working out.  I'm ready for dinner and I would typically grab things while in the kitchen and toss them into my mouth (popcorn, chocolate covered peanuts, a bite of cake, chips, etc).  Right now I was looking for something in the cupboard and checked myself.
When you are looking for something typically "good/healthy" to eat, you won't find it in the cupboard.  So I looked over on the counter and saw my bananas sitting there.  Sure I would rather have a bite of cake but do I need it?  I worked out today, did really good eating and will have a good dinner (Grilled fish with a salad and Quinoa).  If I want, I can treat myself later with some cake.  But at the famished moment when you are looking for something to curve the hunger pangs, cake IS NOT what you need!
Be conscious and make better decisions.  It's not always easy but it will be worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog from your post on FB moms group! Love your posts! Is that a steak from Steer and Stein? Ohhhh I used to go there all of the time! I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thanks for checking me out! That is a Steer N Stein steak, my absolute favorite steak place!

      Delete